Kansas Will for my Pet

Providing for your pet or animals is another important consideration when making your Last Will and Testament. There are two ways to parts to making a Kansas Will for your pet.
The first is naming a beneficiary to inherit your actual pet, the second is to create a trust for funding your pet’s welfare. Before nominating a person to look after your pets, make sure you talk this over with them first. Just because you leave the pet to someone doesn’t impose any obligation on them to accept the gift. You need to ensure the beneficiary is willing and able to care for your animal for the rest of its life. When setting up a trust, it may be best to appoint a separate person to look after the property (the trustee). For example, you may wish to name your sister as trustee and let your friend be the pet’s carer. This ensures the trust funds are used in an impartial unbiased way. To find out more about Kansas pet trusts, read the actual provision below: Chapter 58a.—Kansas Uniform Trust Code Article 4.–CREATION, VALIDITY, MODIFICATION, AND TERMINATION OF TRUST 58a-408. Trust for care of animal. (a) A trust may be created to provide for the care of an animal alive during the settlor’s lifetime. The trust terminates upon the death of the animal or, if the trust was created to provide for the care of more than one animal alive during the settlor’s lifetime, upon the death of the last surviving animal. (b) A trust authorized by this section may be enforced by a person appointed in the terms of the trust or, if no person is so appointed, by a person appointed by the court. A person having an interest in the welfare of the animal may request the court to appoint a person to enforce the trust or to remove a person appointed. (c) Property of a trust authorized by this section may be applied only to its intended use, except to the extent the court determines that the value of the trust property exceeds the amount required for the intended use. Except as otherwise provided in the terms of the trust, property not required for the intended use may be distributed to the settlor, if then living, otherwise to the settlor’s successors in interest.

Comments are closed.